It seems as if with every passing day, another mesothelioma victim is coming forward, calling into question the safety of one of our most trusted consumer products: baby powder. In the most recent example, 67-year-old Paul Garcia of Southern California accused the Colgate-Palmolive Company of failing to warn of the presence of asbestos fibers in their talcum powder products. This week the consumer giant reached an undisclosed settlement with Garcia just before the case was to go before a jury.
Malignant mesothelioma is a rare and deadly form of cancer that is caused almost exclusively by exposure to asbestos. The condition forms in the pleural lining of the lungs when asbestos is inhaled.
Though mesothelioma has traditionally been thought of as an occupational disease, recent claims that talcum-based products were contaminated with asbestos have raised the question of whether products like Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower Body Powder, as well as Colgate-Palmolive’s Cashmere Bouquet and Mennen Baby Powder, were safe to use.
Victims have claimed that after years of using the product daily and inhaling the powder, asbestos fibers became lodged in their lungs and eventually developed into mesothelioma’s tumors.
California Man Blames Mennen Baby Powder Talc for Mesothelioma
In Mr. Garcia’s case, he had indicated that he had used both Cashmere Bouquet and Mennen Baby Powder throughout his lifetime and said that the company knew of the presence of asbestos in their products. His suit cites the company’s failure to warn that the products contained the carcinogenic mineral and that it could cause cancer as negligence.
Though the company has denied these claims, they have also been steadily settling mesothelioma baby powder cases out of court ever since they received a $13 million plaintiff verdict in a 2015 case. Since that time there have been several other notable baby powder mesothelioma verdicts in the news, including a $117 million verdict against Johnson & Johnson in a case involving a New Jersey man who blamed the company’s baby powder for his mesothelioma diagnosis.