Construction and manufacturing companies used Asbestos for centuries. With records of asbestos used as far back as 4,500 years ago in Finland, where pot makers used it since their products were for cooking.
Asbestos found it’s way into many products because of its strength, protection from heat and fire. Asbestos once was in insulation for home construction, appliances, and shipbuilding. In the beginning of the twentieth century, scientists and physicians documenting it’s health issues like asbestos cancer.
People who lived near asbestos mines or exposed to asbestos while working were getting sick and dying. Since the 1920s, regulations began around the world to protect people from asbestos exposure.
Today, research has proven that asbestos exposure causes these diseases. These diseases are life-altering and sometimes fatal due. In some cases that exposure can be as limited to breathing in a single fiber of asbestos.
Statistics on Asbestos Exposure
There are several diseases linked to asbestos exposure. The most deadly of these is mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer that caused by only one thing – exposure to asbestos.
Mesothelioma can appear in workers who have spent years breathing in asbestos dust every day, eight hours a day for years. It is also seen in innocent victims whose only exposure was washing their spouse’s clothing who’ve worked with asbestos.
Other asbestos diseases include asbestosis, a chronic lung condition caused by consistent exposure to asbestos dust. In asbestosis, the dust inhaled creates an inflammatory response in the cells of the lungs.
As the lungs respond to the foreign body by becoming inflamed, scar tissue forms. This layer of tissue hardens, making it difficult for asbestosis patients to take a deep breath.
Asbestosis has no cure. Patients get treated with medications that help expand constricted lungs or provided with more oxygen. The only solution to the impact of asbestos on the lungs is a lung transplant. Asbestosis also can lead to lung cancer and lung cancer in non-smokers.
Latest Asbestos News
- Lawsuit Over Asbestos Exposure Pits Mesothelioma Family Against Port Authority of New York
- New York City’s Metropolitan Transit Authority Accused of Ignoring Asbestos Exposure
- Asbestos Exposure Lawsuit Leads to $8.433 Million Dollar Verdict
- New Jersey Trial Blames Asbestos Exposure from Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder for Mesothelioma
- Couple Wins $70 Million Verdict After Asbestos Exposure Causes Mesothelioma
- New Study Suggests Asbestos Exposure May Contribute to Prostate Cancer
- Dozens of Companies Named in Couple’s Asbestos Lung Cancer Lawsuit
- Study Links Asbestos Exposure In the United Kingdom to Rates of Mesothelioma and Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Widow Sues Carrier Corporation Over Late Husband’s Asbestos Exposure
- Appeals Court Allows Construction Workers’ Lung Cancer Lawsuit To Move Forward